Springfield Chamber History
One could trace the origins of the present day The Chamber of Greater Springfield to 1865 when the Board of Trade was formed on Feb. 20, 1865. Most, however, see the 1897 formation of the Commercial Club as the forerunner to the Chamber. Records show that the name was changed to Chamber of Commerce on Jan. 1, 1919. The Chamber’s first permanent offices were in what was originally known as the Lagonda Building on the corner of Spring and High Streets, but later was called the Chamber of Commerce Building. Offices were moved to the former Shawnee Hotel in 1963, to the Riverbend building in 1981 and to the present location in the Commerce Pointe building, 20 S. Limestone St., in December of 2007.